PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Ghosts
Thread: Aviation Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 14th Nov 2001, 00:13
Cat.S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Airag,
AFE in Manchester have reprinted it and also Mosquito Victory and had it in stock last time I visited. (When I got mine). It's also in their catalogue and can be ordered over the net.

On the ghost topic, a former Luftwaffe flak barracks and supposedly SS experimental hospital in Wolfenbuttel I was once stationed at had some very scary echoes from the past. A friend of mine, on gusrd duty one night heard the sound of marching troops approaching and when he got to the corner, there was nothing there. It never occurred to him to think that the good old DMS boot made hardly a sound before he looked and only a boot with nails could sound like that. Apochryphal maybe, but I witnessed one of the 'war dogs' go absolutely ballistic when his handler tried to take him across the path over the bricked up 'underground hospital'. I've never seen a dog so frightened. It's hair was standing up vertically on it's back and these were VERY hard canines indeed! One of our Air Squadron pilots also saw smoke rising from the site of Belsen when overflying it one evening and distinctly smelt the odour of burning meat. Anyone else familiar with the place will attest to its strange and foreboding atmosphere.