PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Ghosts
Thread: Aviation Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2001, 23:17
semirigid rotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I got to thinking about a ghost story (true one) that I heard as a young airman. It was told to me by one of the people in the story, who said he does not believe in ghosts, but he had no explanation for what happened.

Many moons ago a friend of his had to lock up the hangar at RAF Leeming (in Yorkshire) at the end of the day. Not many airman were happy with this duty as there was a long standing rumour about a ghost. So as it was winter time and dark (brave lot in the Air Force!) he asked the guy who told me the story to stand by the main entrance as he locked up all the offices and turned he lights out. If he could keep the door open so that as the last of the lights went out there would be a shaft of light from the outside street lights, lighting the way out of the hangar - that would make him much happier.

Anyway as the airman was locking up an officer came over to him and asked if he had seen his navigator? No he replied and the officer left by the main door, past the guy who told me the story. hangar all locked, so the two airman went to the NAAFI for a lemonade (or something).

As they walked the airman on locking up duty asked his friend what he thought about the officer looking for his navigator - he was dressed a bit odd.

"What officer?" was the reply.
"The one that walked right passed you!"
" Nobody passed me all the time you were locking up!!!!"

On reaching the NAAFI they asked around and then they found out the full story about the ghost.... During WW2, a navigator jumped out of his plane which was parked outside the hangar (to go to the loo or something) - the pilot kept the engines running and the navigator walked into the prop!! The pilot knowing something had happened jumped out (also engines running) and did exactly the same thing! Now the pilot walks the hangar looking for his navigator.

I don't think that airman locked up that hangar again! I think RAF Halton has some good ghost stories too!