PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Ghosts
Thread: Aviation Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2001, 02:31
Genghis the Engineer

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts
A few years ago I was i/c a rather non-standard hangar at a certain airfield in Wiltshire. I and all of my staff at some point had, whilst alone in the building, heard footsteps, or doors opening and closing. Nobody ever felt uncomfortable and we cheerfully referred to the "hangar ghost". The clincher was a particular occasion where we had a multi-crew aircraft inside the hangar, and (for various reasons I'm not going to elaborate on): -

- A guarded door
- Infra-red motion detectors around the building
- An unbreathable atmosphere inside the hangar
- 2 crew (fully suited on oxygen) in the aircraft.

The crew, who were busy and had their backs to the a/c door clearly heard the aircraft door open and close behind them. I was in the control room on intercom at the time, and when they asked who had gone in with them, I told them it was just the hangar ghost. That seemed the natural thing to say at the time, and interestingly (they weren't my staff) they just accepted it.

On the whole a friendly ghost who just liked a stroll around the hangar when it was quiet I think. We all heard it, nobody ever felt uncomfortable in its presence - I suppose we were all on the same side!

At another, older, airfield, I once lived in a station quarter built by WW1 POWs (German I think), in which I never felt properly at-ease, there was just a constant air of unhappiness in the place. Many people commented upon it although I can't honestly say it was ever worse than a general feeling of unease.

G