PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Ghosts
Thread: Aviation Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 1st Nov 2001, 15:17
Spoonbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

In my dim and distant past I worked at an airfield which was a WW2 bomber base but is now a UK regional airport. The terminal buildings, atc and the engineering department were built on the site of one the dispersal bays where bomb loading took place.
One of my duties involved work in the Tel's department to change tapes etc, this was done twice a day - am and pm, and whenever I was in the building I always got the feeling I wasn't alone, but never saw anything.
For fear of being accused of being a total loony, I never mentioned it until I left the unit, it was only then that one of my colleagues told me he regularly used to see a figure walking through the building, but never got a response from it, he said he always felt perfectly at ease in it's presence.
Another one is up at Sumburgh, Shetland Isles, where a long tunnel type structure is in place from the end of the apron leading to the terminal building. The idea was that aircraft which were parked on the extremities of the apron area could disembark their passengers and they could walk to the terminal protected from the weather. When the Piper Alpha oil rig tradgedy happened, this tunnel was used as a temporary morgue, and ever since it has had a reputation of being a very spooky place to be in. It is no longer used because local staff will not go in, and several years ago an electrician who went to do some work in there, spent 2 minutes in there and came running out. He wouldnt say what he saw, but refued to go back in.
Lastly, try the old terminal and control tower complex at Liverpool, it has quite a reputation, as I'm sure anyone who has worked there will tell you.