PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Ghosts
Thread: Aviation Ghosts
View Single Post
Old 17th Oct 2001, 12:12
poetpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are one or two local myths about ghosties& ghoulies at Barton Manchester (real ghosts, not committee members that is). But I've never seen any myself.

1. 1st floor in the tower (current Committee room) was reputed to be haunted some time back.

2. The harbit hangar (next to the Tower) - an ex-CFI told me that very late one night he heard voices and tool-type noises in the hangar. They opened up the hangar and checked but found no-one. This was shortly after a fatal crash of an aircraft which was housed there.

3. Same guy told me that someone had seen a greyish character in a flying suit early one misty morning, who disappeared as he was approached.

Certainly the field has seen its fair share of aviation tragedies. But I'll remain cynical until I see something for myself. Stories always seem to get elaborated upon as they are passed on (i'm told a pint or two assists this process). The nearest thing I experienced there was a ghostly scream and a white shape looming low out of the sky late one night. It was a barn owl.