PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 13:59
TheSmiter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM warmest regards to all at Waddo from ISK

The whole sorry saga of Nimrod2000 / MRA4 will probably merit a book of its own in years to come, however to precis from Naval-technology.com

In December 1996, BAE Systems were awarded a £2bn contract for the remanufacturing of 21 Nimrod MR mk2 aircraft to the new Nimrod MRA4 (Nimrod 2000) specification including new mission, sensor and avionics systems. In February 2002, the UK Ministry of Defence reduced this number to 18 aircraft, citing a perceived reduction in the submarine threat. In July 2004, the UK Ministry of Defence announced that this number was to be further reduced to 12 aircraft .........
IIRC there were not many in the maritime operating community in the 90's who thought that rebuilding Norman was the best way forward (other than the obvious 4 puffs are better than 2 fans variety) I think the simplistic argument at the time was that, if buying a new car, you wouldn't re-engine and digitize your knackered old Morris Minor, especially as those Morris Minors were all bespoke vehicles with different dimensions! As I say, simplistic, but even aircrew can follow that logic - however economics and political expediency overruled common sense and here we are, 11, yes ELEVEN years later still with no operational aircraft!

I do applaud the tenacity and ingenuity of all at Warton to try and make this jet work against all the odds but, as tucumseh so patiently and eloquently explains, those odds are mighty high. Meanwhile those responsible sit happily, perhaps polishing their new gongs (Dimmer Switch, I wasn't including you! BTW Happy New Year to you and Mrs Switch)while the current breed of aircrew and groundcrew coax the MR2 into the air and hope that it lasts for the next few years without any further dramas.

It may have been the cheapest bottom line option, but in the long term?

Last edited by TheSmiter; 2nd Jan 2008 at 14:12.