PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Future Air Combat Capability Review
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 11:24
jindabyne

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK - I'll try again, but only for a short while.

In the four years up to 2000, the Australian DoD was provided with almost 100% of Typhoon's classified specification and the potential upgrades which would follow, including all those enhancements which are now starting to emerge. Yes there was much glossy-brochure stuff, but behind the scenes there was serious business. The Government (and the Opposition) was also offered some attractive and highly innovative purchase options, which would have made a 100-plus buy very affordable, at today's prices. At the time, there were more than a few senior players throughout the RAAF and DoD who were convinced that Typhoon might well have offered them a very viable multi-role solution, and in the right timescale. There was also a highly vocal element (mainly the US-centric and Pig fraternity - and how wrong the latter have been proved) that stuck their heads in the sand, and in some notable cases simply refused to listen. This latter group has done the ADF no favours, and I trust their like will be muted in the upcoming review process.

It would be good to see this thread develop into an interesting and well-informed debate with contributions from some articulate and up-to-date participants (not me I'm afraid, I bowed out long ago - but I'm still an RAAF fan). Kraziman and friends take note.

I say again - " It would be good to see this thread develop into an interesting and well-informed debate with contributions from some articulate and up-to-date participants " eg ozbig 'n wiley

Last edited by jindabyne; 2nd Jan 2008 at 12:29.