PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AOPA claim 70% drop out rate
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 10:00
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anecdotal I know, but there you have one possible reason. On a weekend, after a hard week, you can step outside for a walk, leap in the car and go for a spin, head out to the shops with no plan, get in your sailing dinghy and mess about, get on your horse and head for the hills. But you can't ever go flying without lots of preparation. Which means all of us - even IO540 - are to some extent....anoraks.
I do that all the time in the Chippy! Most of the times I go flying I've only a vague idea of where I'm going - and that often changes as the flight progresses. The only 'descision' is where to exit the Liverpool zone. I might set off with the vague idea of a few gentle aeros over Shropshire then drop into Sleap for lunch, but go to a strip instead. There I might meet up with another bimbler who'll suggest a strip I've not been to before. Some days, I leave out the aeros (but never fly S&L for long!) and just go sightseeing at relatively low level, over the Peak or up the Lancashire coast to the Lakes. Just enjoying 'being in the air in a wonderful aeroplane'.

The only times I 'plan' are if I'm going to a fly-in (like maybe G-VFWE) when I draw the lines on the charts and put the waypoints into the Pilot 3.

Most of the time, I just 'bimble'. Some might say that's unadventurous, but I'd stronly disagree. There is a great deal of affordable enjoyment to be had from VFR bimbling - if you have the right aeroplane.

SSD