PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways - Wannabes & Recruitment III
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 09:31
essjay7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile LGW

Good morning everyone, happy New Year!
I wonder if someone can enlighten me! Please can someone explain the set-up at Gatwick?
My sister worked for BA in the late 70s and 80s. She worked in what was then called longhaul at LHR and can remember BA starting to operate flights to the Caribbean from LGW, crewed by LHR staff. If I remember correctly, BA had taken over the ailing Dan-Air routes. I presume they took on the Dan-Air staff, and kept to their working conditions, pay, etc., What I don't understand is that why, over the years, BA staff at LGW weren't slowly integrated into the same BA package enjoyed by their fellow workers at LHR. I can understand retaining the status quo at the beginning, but surely over the subsequent years, as crew retire or move on, there wasn't a date when all BA crew there became part of the BA family completely.
Obviously this wouldn't have happened overnight, but like most companies who change their pay structure, there should have been a date sometime down the line when all new entrants commence on the same pay/conditions as their LHR counterparts. From reading these forums, I understand that this is not so.................why???
Why didn't the union, in their negotiations, work for this? I'm not naive to think that this could have happened overnight, but we're talking decades now and something should have been sorted out. I just don't understand why this hasn't been a priority. Or am I missing something? Obviously it would have taken some years for everyone to be on the same package, but eventually, this would have happened.
Sorry if this has been answered before; most grateful for any responses!
Thank you, one and all and a Happy New Year again!