PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Future Air Combat Capability Review
View Single Post
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 04:44
garudadude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is some excellent literature out there, written by the man who is arguably Australia's most knowledgable air power strategist, promoting the signficant advantages of the Aardvark over 'the bug'.
I personally think that Kraziman's comments, whilst clearly tongue in cheek, are not principally flawed. The EF is outdated and obsolete - take a quick look at what is coming out of Russia these days and anybody who knows the first thing about 4th and 5th gen fighter A/A tactics can see that the EF with a mech scanned array (and the significant limitations that this has in a multi-role aircraft) is quickly becoming obsolete.
Rafael and Gripen - I'm glad nobody has touted these as serious competitors..... two words - system integration.
Flanker Family - Aren't we trying to buy/build stuff that, in the event of a contingency against our most likely adversaries, will allow us to shoot these clowns down?
F22 - I don't think anybody has ever said that the raptor isn't clearly the best option for when you 'absolutely and positively need to kill every MF in the room...' - but cost/mission requirements/availability to foreign purchasers... the guys who are paid to know, are 'briefed in' and do this work for a living thought the JSF would be a better option 'for Australia.
The only real solution is to extend the life on the F-111, put an ESA in the front of it and load it up with AMRAAMS / Meteors. I'm sure that with some radar absorbent paint and maybe some plasma in the wings, it would be a gun A/A player while still being able to fly a bazillion miles and engage multiple surface targets.
GD