PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does block time buying and building improve chances of getting a Job?
Old 2nd Jan 2008, 04:28
Nichibei Aviation
Registered User **

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please keep in mind that I'm only an employee at Nichibei Aviation and do not consider my opinion to be that of the company for which I'm working:

I personally think that my boss came out with the right idea.
In the actual market, there is too many people thinking that a type-rating can buy him/her a right-hand seat, which gets them to spoil over 20000€ in sim sessions.
In some cases, that will prove to be succesful.
Though we will never know the exact numbers, I suspect that such cases are rare, considering that only few hiring airlines are looking at the money they will save by hiring a guy with the TR, rather than focussing on safe operation.
The Ryanair concept illustrates this best as it doesn't matter to them whether you do or do not already have a TR as you will pay for it yourself anyway.

Hour building is a better alternative, there is no questionning.
Well, at least that would be the case for a pilot coming out of CPL IR ME and having only 200 hours or so, putting aside ex-military pilots or people with similar experience.

I don't quite understand what you mean by depriving someone of a job with block hours, redsnail, I would like to have more explanations on that.
The only job I think one can deprive is that of type-rating instructors.

Anyway I think that block hour building, certzilny multi-engine is a good alternative considering that you can get hours fast without waisting anymore time, and you don't have to waiste 6000€ or more in FI training (though you get that back gradually).
Also, not everyone is keen at instructing and not everyone sees it as an enjoyable experience.

Finally, if everyone would become FI, there would obviously be more FI's than students.