PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pacific Blue Tail Scrape in Sydney
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 19:57
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I beg to differ Kwaj mate, the initial tail scrape was the initiating factor, but I take your point that the incorrect repair of the rear pressure bulkhead ultimately led to the demise of JAL 123.

Like all aircraft accidents the end result is usually the final hole of the cheese lining up. Brilliant man DR reason. So what created the mindset that felt it acceptable to continue and to pressurise the aircraft? Notwithstanding the QRH, where is the basic concept of common sense, or even self preservation? Perhaps the answer can be found in an individuals shortcomings, or more than likely an overall shortcoming somewhere in an organisation.

Some of the rises in careers we are now seeing are meteoric when compared to years gone by. The eagerness to please and determination to get the job done, (a trait not easily tempered by some inexperienced pilots) may sometimes cloud one's better judgement. I'm not saying that this is what necessarily happened here, but food for thought nonetheless.

When I look at some of the goings on in aviation today, I keep coming back to a tried and true old saying, be it operationally or industrially.

"Those that do not learn from the mistakes of the past, are doomed to repeat them."