PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LIVERPOOL - 2
Thread: LIVERPOOL - 2
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 10:30
eggc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from UK Airport news...

We published an article detailing a reader's view on the Liverpool Airport Fast Track (express lane through airport security) in October. Another passengers has shared his recent experience, and we thought we would close the year with it, as it is the worst 'innovation' at a UK airport this year, in our view.

Our reader says:

'Your news article on the passenger view of the Fast Lane at Liverpool is far too restrained. The Fast Lane is an utter disgrace and one of the worst scams I have come across whilst flying extensively in Europe. I shall not be using Liverpool John Lennon Airport again until they sort it out.

Booked on a flight from Liverpool at 6.30am two weeks ago, and having already done the Ryanair 'Check & Go' routine which allows you to bypass normal check-in and arrive at the airport a little later, I was gob-smacked to turn the corner at the top of the first floor at 5.20am to find a very, very long queue. It took 40 minutes of shuffling to get to the security check. All along the queue, were little pop-up banners saying '30 minutes queue from here- beat the queue and buy a Fast Lane ticket' - '20 minutes from here, etc' - '10 minutes wait from here, etc' and, as you previously said, the security fellas encouraging people to 'beat the queues' by buying the £2 fast-lane tickets.

I was incandescent, but because I'd arrived slightly earlier than planned, had just enough time to avoid having to cough up the £2.

It was clear to me, having used LJLA several times this year and the previous occasion was only about four weeks earlier when hardly anyone seemed to be using the Fast Lane, that careful and calculated changes had been made to create an intimidating queue and force people to have to buy, either because they would miss their flight or because the queue looked far too long for them to stay standing. For example, the queue arrangement at the bottom of the stairs just before the scanners had been changed so that about 10 metres of queue previously at the bottom of the stairs (and previously unseen) was now displaced to the top floor, making the queue appear much longer.

Two points: firstly, creating huge numbers of people queuing and blocking the retail areas creates a massive security risk -remember, this queue is BEFORE bags have been checked at security; do the police and government know and approve of this arrangement?
Secondly, if you spend 40 minutes in a queue, that's 40 minutes less time to buy food, drinks, books or whatever. The scheme must be completely counter-productive as far as revenue is concerned.

I made my views known calmly and politely to one of the security guys - told him what a very bad impression this left of Liverpool - but he turned his head away and said nothing.

I made six flights over the following two days in Europe. No-where else was there a queue for security and certainly there was no rip-off 'Fast Lane'.

Michael O'Leary needs to have a hard word with them - I'll be using other airlines to avoid Liverpool from now on.

Liverpool Airport: You should be disgusted with yourselves.'

We would add to this that it will be interesting to see how the change to the hand baggage rules (the one bag rule) from next week affects this arrangement. Liverpool Airport has so far failed to get permission to relax the rule. It looks like it is in the airport's interest to keep the queues long, which will mean it will not get permission to relax the restriction. However, some airlines might want to relax the rule, which will put pressure on management.