PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Latest LAX ATC Error Reported on 29 Dec
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 09:46
MrApproach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting that this thread is titled Latest LAX ATC error....my reading of the text is that the Mexicana pilot failed to comply with an ATC clearance. Why ATC should have to take a fall for a pilot that cannot understand English would keep my local "kerosene corner" bar going all night!

OK it's about the read-back but I would contend that relying on read backs for clearance compliance in the runway/taxiway environment at airports such as LAX belongs with the DC4's it grew up with...on the scrap heap. If we are to rely on radio then pilots have to first listen (For Wilbur's sake this is LAX!!) and secondly be able to understand what they are being told.

On the constructive side, as someone points out, we solved this problem years ago at rail/road crossings and road intersections. Barriers and lights at these high risk areas (hotspots?) have the same effect that stop lights would have at LAX, they slow operations down! They leave the car driver and the train driver in no doubt about who has right of way. LAX runway crossings are no different to your local really busy crossroad when all the Mums are taking the kids to school. (We all know one.) Would you be happy if the local laws allowed a policemen to control the intersection by radio, relying only on read backs to ensure safety?

On paper the controllers are motivated solely by safety, in practice they are the keepers of the airport movement rate, mess with that and you will quickly find yourself back on clearance delivery. Once upon a time powerful ATC and Pilot Unions backed their members up but since R.Raygun, western governments have turned us all in to profit centres, where the needs of the consumer, airline AND airport are paramount.

Take the bus!