PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I secure a wireless network?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 08:45
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Don't have the network announce itself. To the casual user, an un-announced network is invisible although not to those with the correct tools. In your WiFi router you need to switch off the function that announces the network name. In your PC you'll need to tell it what network name to connect to
Unfortunately this one, also called "SSID broadcast disabled", introduces a load of compatibility problems with many devices, even the most modern ones.

Out of my collection of wifi PDAs, laptops, etc, about 30% will connect and the rest won't. Some laptops connect only following a reboot.

Always enable SSID broadcast initially and only when everything is working (with the desired encryption mode e.g. WPA) turn off SSID, and see if it still works.

I don't think there is any way to hack WPA so there should be no harm in having the SSID broadcast enabled.

I would also avoid a common thing which is setting the access point name to one's house name or street number - why do people do that?? It just tells everybody where to go to get a better signal I set mine to something like "f**k off" Great fun until you have a guest who wants to use their laptop

Otherwise, I agree about a wired network. 100% compatible, much faster, cannot be hacked into (well other than by GCHQ using Van Eck etc).