PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS - 4
Thread: LEEDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 07:35
A300BOY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A300boy

Sorry BYALPHAINDIA even though its New Years Day and I am feeling "groggy" I cannot allow you to slag our mountain landng strip off without reply !
Yep its a mess, but for me living in Yeadon vital for my travel needs I think Jet 2 have done a great job at Leeds and I am a frequent user and fan, but as you say all eggs in one basket is not the best way for the Airport to run a business. I suspect even if Jet 2 walked away from Leeds other airlines would take up the routes they left gehind as they have created a market and I for one only fly to places served from Leeds even if via Amsterdam.
Runway length and Cat 3 issues need in my opinion to be addressed asap I agree with you that these items are long overdue to be fixed but of course to resolve the problems planning permission issues may have to be revisited and lots of money spent. The Cat 3 works ok if you have a 737 size aircraft or smaller and the aircraft is not too heavy, also the wind needs to be light or from a good direction which it rarely is. I would rather travel back to Leeds in an aicraft that is able to land Cat 3 at Leeds than divert to Manchester in a bigger more comfortable one. Sabena used to be heaven with good regular services on Cat 3 capable aircraft, at that time my Brussels trips were a joy. The new operator on the route has made it unuseable and too unreliable for me to use, for instance next to no flights over Christmas and New Year and frequent cancellations, but its their business and they know why they do it and if it is better to have less flights/passengers and improve yields who am I to question them I just simply use our own Company flights from East Midlands. Maybe we should have a sponsored runway extension dig to help our new owners ! Happy New Year to all my aircrew colleagues and all other Pprune posters.