PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Future Air Combat Capability Review
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 06:37
Backwards PLT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. The British consistently promise capability and performance that are just ideas they got a sketch artist to draw (vice what they actually have achieved and are achieving). They have nice glossy brochures.
2. Eurofighter 2000, hangon make that 2008. Does it have full air to surface yet? I think the F/A-18 had that in 1980.
3. It's got a mechanically scanned RADAR!!! Wonder if they've got 6 x .50cals in the wings (WWII style). Oh hang on, it doesn't have a gun

Bring on "the most potent air defence fighter the world has ever seen"
I dont fly Typhoon but do get a little bored with ill informed comment. All modern fighters have had issues early in life. F15 was a crock of s**t until the US spent billions on it. The main problem with Typhoon is that it is a multi-nation European aircraft that will never see the level of spending that F22/F35 do.

To address the specific points:

1. By "the British" I assume you mean BAe systems? In which case you are correct - but so does every other company. Have you seen Russian sales literature? Or French? Or American for F35? Their job is to sell stuff.

2. I don't know what the F18 A/G capability was in 1980, but I am sure Typhoon TODAY (well not today, they wont be flying!) exceeds it in most areas, but probably not the range of A/G munitions yet.

3. Agree on the radar. However it derisked everything and an ESA Typhoon would almost certainly not be performing as well as the current Typhoon today. We just don't have the experience and knowledge in Europe (don't believe everything the French tell you!)
Typhoon does have a gun. Keep up.

I hope the final quote isn't from a brochure! Todays Typhoon is far more capable A/A than older types such as F18, but I don't think anyone has ever claimed that it is better than a F22 - not even BAE (but they do claim it is more cost effective, I've seen the graphs in a sales brochure, it must be true!)

Reading through this, it sounds like I am a big Typhoon fan, which I am not, it has some issues and I am not convinced it was the right way for the UK to go, but at least critique it with facts, rather than jump on an ill-informed "Typhoon is crap" band-wagon.