PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LEEDS - 4
Thread: LEEDS - 4
View Single Post
Old 1st Jan 2008, 00:12
BYALPHAINDIA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I ask everyone, what the hell is going on at LBA?
If Leeds is to be taken seriously as a major city, it needs a major airport. It is not this nor will it be after the implentation of the masterplan (do we really have to wait till 2016 for improvements.)
I am sick of watching other airports develop and get some really good international flights and have to travel to either MAN/LHR/AMS for these flights.
The RW and conditions mean that its not feasible to run larger aircraft on a regular basis from the airport. Why not fill in the large hole, re-tarmac and extend NOW. We all know that the 757/767 will float half way down the RW on automated landings.
Bigger better RW=Bigger better aircraft=New international flights=Increased revenue for the airport
The wind problem - puts hairs on your chest everytime you come into LBA!
The terminal building is now painful. It used to be great before the pax numbers increased but now it is a joke. (security, few seats, the bar, cafe etc, all embarrasingly inept). It needs to be substantially bigger & better.
The route network, or lack of it, most people get lost on their first visit.
As a local person I really want the owners of Leeds to grab this airport by the scruff and invest now, especially after years of nothing! Or are we yet to remain as a joke and watch others continue to overtake us and develop. The masterplan is too little too later!

Where do I start I agree with all you have said 'mightymouse' Basically the problem with Yeadon Airport or LBIA as it was known until Leeds & Bradford Councils sold up, Is the Marketing.

We have being telling them for years, that they are too 'slow' on the uptake, By the time the Airport has thought about it MAN Airport has done it

It has always had a dark cloud over it, I don't think it is a very friendly Airport to fly from, I live in the Kirklees area, But I use TOM obviously, And any other MAN flights.

Yeadon will always be a 'Toytown Airport' It had it's chances years ago, But like I have said, It is too = Slow, Perticular, & Unenthusiastic.

When you go into the Terminal you don't feel any 'Atmosphere' - It doesn't have the 'Buzz' like MAN does, Just desks of 'long faces'

Easyjet (U2) approached them years ago with a big offer before LIV, And what did they do they refused, Without no negotiations whatsoever.

Personally I don't think Yeadon has anything to offer me, I am not a perticular 'lover' of Jet 2, There is little Greek flights on offer, No Train connections, And a bus that takes 'forever' to get to Leeds.

I am sorry to have to feel like this, But I am just being honest, The Airport needs to get a grip quickly, And get the figures in to it's investors.

The only future I can see for Yeadon is as a 'Commuter' Link, maybe Jet 2 will stay, But it seems that the 757's spend more time 'DIV' to MAN recently due to the 'silly' reason of having no CAT111.

All Jet 2 is doing is buying the Airprt more lifetime, If they ever go then I don't think sadly it will have a long future ahead of it??

After all a handful of T3 J 41+ BD 145 Flights are not going to 'put the Bread on the table' are they