PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gutersloh, Mid 70s
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 21:26
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
The 18 Sqn corner in the main bar of the Mess with four well known SH characters from the late 1970s and onwards enjoying themselves:
Al Boulden, Mike Barter and John Kennedy playing with... something of the late George McCracken's....!

I was at Gutersloh slightly later, October 1980 till December 1983, when 230 took over from 18.

I had looked forward to meeting with an old creamie QFI mate, Nigel Storah, recently arrived there on Harriers. Unfortunately, as I drove in through the main gate a pall of black smoke drifting over the airfield; Nige's Harrier had rolled over approaching the hover due to a puffer duct control linkage failure. He ejected but too late, the aircraft was already through 90 degrees AOB and he impacted the football pitch, still in his seat. RIP Nigel

I got quite used to attending scenes of tent-pegged jets over the next few years, including the tragic one of Dutch Holland's terrible Harrier accident on take-off from the field location. Also the Jaguar that went in vertically just south of the airfield, in full reheat from 10,500 feet, having departed shortly before (in all meanings of the word).

Not a good time from that respect, or from our Squadron Boss losing his command after a slight bump (!) on the married patch.

By some miracle I came back to blighty with a functioning liver and an intact marriage, having been sent off to CFS(H) as a punishment for my misdemeanours.

(I blame lsh and charlie golf ).