PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 16:03
Hubbly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BA have a very small number of first class passengers, 10 or 12 I believe, a fair size business cabin and small economy cabin. Until recently, Virgin has had 40 Upper class pax, between 30 and 40 premium depending on the aircraft, and anywhere from 375 to 400 in economy depending on the aircraft. Virgin's upper class cabin now holds 50 passengers and the premium around the same I believe. Economy has been reduced to around 300. Remember that our upper service rivals other airline's first class service, so it's not over in 5 minutes, it has to be delivered with all the trimmings!
The crew working positions are very very different to those at BA and BA do not do the number of services that Virgin have to do. Even with 17 crew, Virgin crew are pushed to the limits and some pax still complain that our service is too slow and we obviously don't have enough crew!! I have dealt with those kind of complaints on numerous occasions!
BA crew openly tell their customers not to use their call bells unless they REALLY have to, Virgin pax use them continuously and the crew have to answer each one every time it goes off and wouldn't dare tell someone not to use it, unlike BA!!

I have to correct you here...BA have 14 First class seats, 52 or 70 Business class seats 36 World Traveller Plus seats and approx 212 economy seats on a 747.
Your last comment in bold just tells me that you are talking out of your nether regions in respect to what BA do or don't do on board. I only wish we could tell our passengers NOT to use the call bells, unfortunately we would not be doing our jobs if we did....now would we?

This strike thread is so interesting. It reminds me of when we BA crew were going to strike. the only difference being that we were willing to put our money where our mouths were. That is until we were sold out by our mother Union. Something which is still a sore point with many BA crew and the Union alike.

Good luck to you all whatever it is you decide to do. Ultimately if you strike does go ahead, you will all be affected regardless of what your choices may be.

Oh yes and 016FSM no doubt myself or some of my colleagues will be there to answer the call bells from some of those Virgin passengers who may be affected by your potential strike....LOL