PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benign Positional Vertigo
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 14:28
BroomstickPilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Benign Positional Vertigo

Hi Guys,

Last January, I had some nasal surgery and immediately afterward had a bad attack of BPV. Both my doctor and the surgeon were quite relaxed about the occurrance and told me it was a common complication following on from nasal surgery and that it will clear 'in time'.

The attack went on for some weeks and then cleared of its own accord. During this time, flying was out of the question, so I stayed on the ground.

After being clear of it for a couple of months, it came back. Although only in a very mild form. I still would not have felt safe flying with it, so once again I stayed on the ground for some more weeks until it cleared. After that I remained clear of it for some weeks.

Now it has come back again. The present attack is only very, very slight, but enough to make me ground myself again. Once again, I have been grounded for weeks.

My doctor's attitude is to say that I should just be patient and wait for it to go away. Looking on the Internet, however, I find that there are exercises that can be used to treat it and clear it much more quickly. It occurs to me that these exercises might even be performed regularly as a kind of prophylactic to prevent future occurrances.

Does anybody else have experience of this condition and in particular of the various modes of treatment?

Broomstick.