PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now this isn't a time for soundbites, but...
Old 17th Sep 2001, 19:29
K52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mistress

We have crossed swords before but this time I am in total agreement with you.

I watched the events live as I had just got home, having missed the Lunchtime news, and tuned in to see what was going on in the world.

I phoned my Brother (who works in Finance in London) to tell him and watched, in total disbelief, as the second aircraft hit the south tower. I won't repeat what I said over the phone.

Our "Leaders" are full of phrases such as "A War against Terrorism" - but where are "They" going to get the Personnel? The Forces have been decimated by indifference and redundancy schemes (in 1974 we were told that the redundancy scheme that year was a "one off" and would never happen again!!!)

If we are going to fight a "War against Terrorisom" then where do we get the manpower? As our leaders have declared it is a "WAR" then we cannot, under the Geneva Convention, use the Police to guard strategic points as Police are not allowed to participate in Acts of War.

If we are indeed going to fight a long campaign to eradicate Terrorism then we will have to invoke the "Defence of the Realm Act" and recall all those who are still on the Reserve.

I think I will buy a house in France!!!