PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Pilot Psychology at Work'
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 13:07
carholme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies/Gentlemen;

No matter what you want to call it, CRM, Pilot Physcology or whatever, one thing which seems to come to light in these threads is that the reference point is usually "that crusty old fart", the miserable captain in command.
No matter what the situation, CRM calls for the entire crew to be involved in better front end management to ultimately wind up with better performance as a unit.
Maybe those referring to that crusty old fart should be examining their own responsibilities in contribution to CRM. If the commander is as you describe and will not change, where have you stepped up to the plate? Have you done the best you can to support him with good communication, not being afraid to put your thoughts into the process when required or if there is confusion?
Allowing ourselves to be intimidated in this day and age is just as wrong as the absolute rule commander and it doesn't have to mean a punchup. Maybe, your contribution does make him see that everybody is trying to help and at least communication will take place, if he thinks you are right or wrong.
It is not just about the commander, focusing on him only absolves me of any responsibility and thus the breakdown in communication is already well on the way, maybe even before we get to the a/c.
Mumbo jumbo, common sense or whatever, if I enter that front end with the idea that #1 is unmanageable, I have failed to try and make things better already.
CRM isn't a mandate that it will work but it does offer a method of attempt.
And who knows, it might just be a good flight.

Regards

carholme