PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Challenger Crash Almaty
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 11:53
LRdriver II

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed is life.. amen to that.

Coming from a Lear 60 and now captain on a 604, I have the utmost respect for any sort of wing contamination and any doubts always end in a de-icing.

The techniques for slow rotation and higher speed are mentioned here on the last few posts and I always let the 604 fly itself off the ground when she is ready (rotate at normal rate and let wing fly itself). The rotation forces are wierd in the 604 as they are very light when factory trim settings are used and even more so with a full tail tank. I prefer a slightly heavier feel to the "pull" as having the airplane spring into the air as soon as you unweight the nosewheel is a bit disconcerting at times.

Having operated the last two winters in Reykjavik, I have been at pains to show/tell our new F/O's that rotating at same speed and yanking it up into V2 in any and all situations aint the best idea. Granted the "book" says one thing, but real life nuances come with experience. Also the simulators that alot of us use, dont quite reproduce the feel/look of the airplane in that transient stage.

Sad outcome eitherway... RIP