PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Meteor Accidents - 1953
View Single Post
Old 31st Dec 2007, 08:58
BEagle

Received 278 Likes on 113 Posts
Well, I was down in Zumazett yesterday, so went to find my old 'goofing spot' from whence I used to watch the jets when we had both a real air force and, later, fleet air arm:

An ideal spot to watch aircraft on the approach to RW 27 - as well as those taxying out from the left of the Control Tower or, occasionally, from Westlands (just off the right of the picture - now a gyspy camp).

I couldn't believe how narrow the lanes are in that part of the world! My SLK isn't a big car, but I didn't remember the roads being so small.

More unpleasant though was the number of nanny-state speed limits now inflicted upon the fast country roads I once used in the 1970s..... It'd drive me mad if I had to live there now with the roads having been so badly ruined.... Every few miles there's another 30/40/50 limit and the GPS bongs away the whole time with 'safety camera' warnings.

Good to see 'The Volunteer' had re-opened though! I didn't have time to call in, but will do so in the summer, I hope.

What does this have to do with Meatbox prangs? Well, when the Navy was there 50 years ago, a TT20 (?) came to grief about 20 feet from where the photo was taken. I distinctly remember seeing most of it stuck in the grassy overshoot of RW09 - with the nose fairing on the other side of the road!

Last edited by BEagle; 31st Dec 2007 at 09:22.