PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's really going on here?
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 17:01
Rootie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aviation vs Dentistry

Well, I am a dentist and not a professional pilot. Perhaps I should not partake in this forum but I do fly my own P210, here in darkest Africa, purely for pleasure. Every flight is an adventure and I enjoy most of them to the fullest. Like many I have initially been duped into believing all the romantic nonsense about the (professional) pilot's life, but soon came to realize that all that glitters is not gold. There is one great truth about airline flying which has dispelled all the fables for me and it is called flying solo. All student pilots dream of and live for flying solo and eventually achieve it, celebrate it and always remembers it. But what happens afterwards? A career in the airline, initially as co-jo and later as captain. Solo flying? Never again. Now where is the romanticism of flying when always sharing the responsibility? When reading through never ending checklists? Always the same, boring. I would rather stick to "drilling in other people's mouths" and enjoying my bit of flying when the opportunity arises-like tomorrow morning.