PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ICAO Language Proficiency Tests
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 08:45
captain87

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re from captain87

I'm an ATPL Student and I've just performed the ICAO Placement Test in order to be evaluated before starting the courses. I had a Level 3, which is established by the lowest score obtained in one of the 6 fields (Pronuciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Comprehension, Interactions).

I had the following results: 3.5 - 3 - 2.5 - 3.5 - 3.5 - 3

Furthermore there is a written exams score in which I performed 39 right answers over 60 ... but the written one is not important such the oral.

Since all the pilots and controllers have to reach the minumum proficiency level operation (Level 4), I have been suggested to start the course by Module B (see www.relta.org) then followed by Advanced Radiotelephony Course.

I think this is the better way in order to improve the safety in communications and to reduce the number of misfortunes due to it.

My mother-tongue teacher said that Level 4 means that the user can well understand english and obviously that he can be well understood without any misunderstandings. It is a goal that can be perfectly reached in 125-250 hours of class-based-course and CBT's (Computer Based Training).

I noticed that there is a common problem for non-native speakers: the understanding of american/very fluent (contracted) english that usually brings the user to be out of comprehension.

I think there will not be huge problems at all caused by it since ICAO doesn't want to eliminate the foreign pilots but to improve readability and safety indeed.

Happy new Year and Have a lot of fun !!!

by captain87

Last edited by captain87; 30th Dec 2007 at 11:18.