PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 07:34
VS-LHRCSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interpreter, I know you are trying to show some support for the Virgin crew but putting BA crew down is not the way to do it. I've worked for both companies and to be truthfully honest, I don't really see that much of a difference with crew and their attitude. There's good and bad in both.

Your claim about Imperial Airways is inaccurate. Until recently, there was a mandatory retirement age of 55. Most of the BEA, BOAC, BCal and Airtours crew have since retired. Are you saying that being mature aged means that you have no right to work in customer service? In that case, I'd better go tell my bank, my supermarket, the post office, my mum, so the management there can make arrangements for them all to be fired.

Another thing to consider is that is that if BA crew seem a little older it is only because as they are paid better, on better terms and conditions, they stay longer and are more inclined to make a career of it. How many current Virgin crew would stay into their 50s is they were paid the same as BA at LHR? I'm sure many would at least consider it. There are plenty of mature staff in the terminal so why not in the air? Virgin is quite proactive about taking seniors on the ground who have been forced to retire from the likes of American and United.

You are also generalising about BA crew. It's not all about LHR. Just ask anyone at LGW at the moment. Look how reducing terms and conditions has worked out for them. Virgin management need to learn from BA's mistakes there. They are always claiming to be a better employer than BA (although I saw little evidence of it) now is their chance to prove it.