PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar - Wannabes & Recruitment II
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 07:11
Want2Fly!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How dare some of you make generalisations that all new crew coming in, whether they be generation Y, X, A, Q, P or C are all young and stupid - or come from very low customer-service backgrounds!!

I'm not going to let comments on THIS forum get me down when I'm out on line working my butt off as per the new Team Jetstar working conditions you all point out are so horrible. But I'll say it again, myself and others in my ground school all really wanted to be flight attendants and Jetstar was our way in and we took it! What's the harm in us doing that UNTIL a better offer comes along with another airline?

This is all alright for all you mainline Jetstar crew to say stuff like how dare you "cheapen the profession" by accepting these conditions, but that's because you already have ya bloody job under the Jetstar EBA. So you're all having a great time posting these horror scenarios which you say we'll probably end up working - which you're probably right in that we will - but no one's going to be able to change it. If it all becomes too much and we become burnt out well SO BE IT - those that can't handle it will pike out and try again with another airline! All I'm saying is that this opportunity has presented itself to me and I'm sure as hell gonna give it a go because I currently have nothing to lose.

There is no one aged younger than 21 in my ground school - for some of you who were saying that plucking 18 year olds straight out of school was becoming more common. We have a couple who are aged in their late 30s and one in her early 40s.

And so far we have completed 4 examinations and every single person has passed 90% or higher. No one in this ground school has bombed-out or is going out being irresponsible in the crew uniform as the picture was painted by somebody above. We all consistently arrive on-time, and infact most mornings we're all gathered in the tea room about 15-20 minutes early to relax and go over our manuals/notes.

Smartalec888, you are being hired to International by the sounds of things so perhaps the new collective agreement I was talking about is only to cover the Domestic Team Jetstar crew. And if it is just an agreement for Domestic crew then YES what has been just negotiated and voted-in does apply to all future crew hired under Team Jetstar (Domestic). International crew may still fall under the common law contract, hence why it may not be obsolete as I initially said.

Also, at our assessment centre and morning tea we also were never told about any "Team Jetstar" - all our emails and material we were sent and received on the day all stated Jetstar Airways and that's what we were led to believe we were being recruited for. They did however mention that a lot of the pay and conditions may be changing in the coming few months but that nothing had been finalised yet. That would've been Team Jetstar they were hinting at - and we were first told about it in our congratulatory phone calls when they said "we'd like to offer you a position of employment with Team Jetstar". All the information regarding this was sent in the welcome pack. Now though, I'm pretty sure all invites to recruitment days are being labelled as 'Team Jetstar short-haul/long-haul cabin crew'.

Regarding the yearly salary, just to a few who may not have factored in that domestic flying allowance, that would add to that $33.4k base salary approximately $12k based on an example in our agreement which said that on a month where a crew member works 120 duty hours there would be approximately 89 BLOCK hours worked. So overall pay for the first year, only according to that example of course, would be approx. $45.4k - a lot better than what you earn on the dole, as someone made reference to.

So my point is please don't generalise all the new recruits that are coming in, which includes myself, because that's quite offensive, and realise that a lot of us see this as our dream job and have taken the opportunity because we see this is our way into the industry - whether we survive physically at Jetstar (or Team JQ rather) is something that only time will tell - but I'm gonna give it a really good shot.