PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX B-Scale Check and Trainers
View Single Post
Old 30th Dec 2007, 04:39
Lost_Cause

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CX B-Scale Check and Trainers

There's a lot of talk on this Forum about the pros and cons of being an AOA member. Those in the "pro camp" are quick to point out that "if you don't like it, join the GC and do something about it". Is it really that simple? I would like to bring up a point that seems to have received very little attention on this Forum... regarding AOA members taking up Check and Training positions.

I have been an AOA member for as long as I have worked for this company, and have generally been in support of the AOA leadership (until now), and those who have stepped forward to help out on the GC for the greater benefit of the membership.

I can think of various reasons in favor of joining the AOA, but I can also think of various reasons why some might not want to. I can say one think with certainty though... considering what's going on in the AOA right now, I am about as close as I have ever been to resigning. My efforts are fruitless as long as we have GC members helping out with the company expansion, while we are apparently trying to negotiate a better package for all.

Recently, while negotiations were ongoing (and thereafter), many AOA members, and more disappointingly, GC members have stepped forward to help Cx out with their expansion plans by volunteering to help out with the training task. This is a complete contradiction in terms. Can one be working for both sides while this battle rages on? We are about as close as we've ever been to forcing our hand on the Company, and yet there's guys that still step forward to help them out. I don't understand the benefit to the membership... especially at this time.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problems with people becoming Trainers, and helping out for the greater benefit of the crew community. However, in my opinion, now would have been a perfect time to hold off, and thereby force the Company to pay A-scale salaries for ALL captains at least (a goal for many years)... and possibly a better offer for all crew. How could we let this opportunity pass us by? They are currently prepared to extend all A-scale Captains on A-scale conditions. I believe it would not have taken much to force them to pay A-scale salaries for at least the B-scale captains. It was not that long ago that the company was "apparently" prepared to pay exactly that. How much would it have taken now??

I think we seriously need to consider a training ban... at least until they come back with a worth-while offer. If this had been the case while negotiations were going on, I doubt whether we would even be in a position now where we have to talk about Contract Compliance, or Industrial Action.

Like I said, I have been a staunch supporter of the AOA for many years, but I have now come to a crossroads as to whether I can continue to support them. Especially while many AOA members, and some of those serving on the GC, are just out to look after their own interests... at the mercy of everyone else.

Thanks to them, many of us get an insulting 3% kick in the groin... and the imposition of COS08. In other words, we are now in a position where, amongst other things, all of us will have to accept flying freighters on much reduced terms to what we have now... accept extension beyond 55 on B-scale terms, when others are getting it on A-scale... and accept the fact that our junior crew will have their promotions delayed by years.

Please AOA, don't send me anything more on the impending pilot shortage... when we have the power to create that pilot shortage right now "from within"!