PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - World "Civilisation"? It's time to talk.
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2001, 01:54
Capt Widebody

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post World "Civilisation"? It's time to talk.

What happened yesterday was gratuitous and terrible. My heart too goes out to all those families who were torn apart. But as I sat down and watched, and thought deeply about the attacks, the lives lost and the possible further consequences, I found myself more emotional and upset than I had been for a long time about something so physically and emotionally distant from me. Then it dawned on me why. The saddest part was that I was not so upset at the lives lost and shattered by these acts of war, but at the state we find ourselves in as a so-called "global community".

I thought about other such atrocities which have, in recent years cost thousands of lives, but the media and the western world have glossed over in comparison. More people died in Rwanda, and for what?. What of the ethnic cleansing in the FRY, those hundreds of people who finished their journey on this earth stepping into a mass grave? The reason why yesterday is still shaking the world, is not the lives lost, it is the manner in which, and the place in which they were lost. Many people, as me are reflecting on their morals, their mortality and their own beliefs as a result of this tragedy. I hope in this sense, some good can be salvaged from the brutality and evil we have seen.

I hope the world leaders really do try use this as a pivotal point about which to change the way we all think. I'm not talking about tightening security with the airlines and battening down the hatches, though I understand this is necessary and sensible. I'm talking about trying to find some unity with our geo-political neighbours, and our religious, cultural and often economic "opposites" both near and far. Let's wipe the negotiating table clean and start again.

As long as there are people with religious and "moral" standpoints that they believe in so fanatically they are prepared to die for then this is a war which "civilisation" cannot and will not win through more destruction and death. I am not religious, and I do neither congratulate or berate myself for this. Suffice it to say that if I were religious, I would be praying for these horrific events to change the way we all go about our business.

Yes, this is idealistic, and the perceived practicalities of the "war" situation will doubtless outweigh my sentiments. I find this very sad, but wholly understandable. I am not for an instant suggesting that anyone "turn the other cheek". I am just saying that sending a message to the perpetrators by return of post could be the most costly mailshot ever delivered.

It's time we attacked, as hard as we possibly we can. We must hit back. But we should hit back at the root causes of this evil, and think very hard about the best way to do it. "They" can kill people, and destroy buildings but they will never destroy the spirit and freedom of democracy. Sure. Now turn it around and ask yourselves if this is a "war" we can win through any conventional means?

Bombing the terrorists' safe harbours and killing their friends, supporters and families will score points and send out a message. It will win a battle, but that is all. Martyrs will be made, and from their ashes will rise strength, determination and more purposeful resolve. The next atrocities will be just around the corner, and far worse. We should find the perpetrators and bring them to justice. But before we deliver our civilised justice, let's try to understand them more, and help ourselves.

I hear some of you baying for blood. Sometimes I feel the same anger in myself. Some of you are probably wandering how these can be the sentiments of a military man. I will do as I am ordered, but I will think of it what I choose.

The armed forces of the civilised world are a force for peace. I understand all too well the military doctrine, the principles of the deterrent, and the necessity of reaction to prove resolve in a conflict. But this is no ordinary conflict. It is not an ordinary war. I firmly beleive it can be won, in time with enough resolution. Please let's win this war, but let us honour all of the innocent people who have died by winning it the right way.

Rest in Peace