PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones in Scotland
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 14:41
machel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Size?

There was a feature in the "Oban Times" about this last week, along with a photo. I missed it but a friend was telling me about it last night. I hope to get a copy of the article and, if I can, I'll post it here.

The camera might be small, but the overall UAV is large - on a par with a sizeable model aircraft. Apparently it's painted in black and yellow.

The "OT" article also mentioned they'll be doing extensive "practice" with the thing. So, Maoraigh1's probably on the right track. My reckoning is that they'll be flying it in fair weather as well as foul.

As I fly out of Oban, it does concern me. The mountains around Argyll and Lochaber are up to 4,500' AGL. If this thing is going to be used to assist in SAR for lost climbers, etc., then it could easily be up in the region of 3000' - where we usually aim to be, thinking we're safe from low-flying jets!

I've got the names of the Officers involved and I'm going to try to contact Strathclyde Police to find out more - and if they're at least going to contact the local airport to let them know when and where the UAV is being tested.