PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 14:30
016FSM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even though I am in favour of finally doing something about our pay and conds, I do have to admit that I think Brian Boyd (amicus) has made a total hash of this.

No clear demands have EVER been given to the company, just that we want 'better' pay and conditions, not exactly what we want. And if you believe Steve Ridgeways communication on ifly in which he said Brian Boyd negotiated with the company and they shook hands on a deal only for it to be thrown out by the voting members, shows that the union have no idea what their members are fighting for.

I feel that IF industrial action is to go ahead, it must be done with the union firmly backing you knowing what it is that you're fighting for, the company MUST know exactly down to the last full stop, what we're fighting for and full support from EVERY last member is needed. Nobody is really really sure, just how many will support this strike, how many will go sick and how many will ignore it. It's a bit like Russian roulette, everyone is holding their breath and hoping for the best outcome on both sides!

And furthermore, it could well be that it will all be overshadowed by the BAA strikes anyway, that really will cripple the programme for all carriers. I also believe the those who 'rock the boat' will be singled out in the future, they won't get requests, leave dates, they'll end up working the most unpopular routes, if they sneeze in the wrong direction, they'll be called into the office. Whilst I appreciate the union will always back them, who wants to work in such an environment. Virgin unfortunately is not a particularly forgiving company for those who try to cross them!!

We already have one of the most difficult SEP recurrents of all UK based airlines, I think that could start to get even tougher in coming months and that's something that the union cannot get involved in should you not pass!