PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 09:30
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What are the unions doing?

You only have to look at the profits of BA compared to Virgin, the number of aircraft, the number of flight crew and cabin crew to know that Virgin is very much second best - especially as measured by profit per flight/cabin crew member. Unfortunately striking is never a good option but it is grossly affected adversely if the company against whom the strike is taking place is not strong financially - and Virgin in the airline business is NOT.
All the compaints and grouses that emanate from this site may be valid but as with all types of work unless your union leaders can negotiate - and I mean negotiate, not strike for - better terms you have only one option and that is to find another job. BA have all the business economies of scale whereas Virgin does not. In that context I have to say don't strike but grasp your union leaders by the scruffs of their necks and ask them what they think they are doing.
Although a semi-retired businessman I have no connection whatsoever with Virgin or BA but I do know that the ONLY way you will get any lasting improvements is by negotiation - unless of course you don't mind some of your colleagues going to the wall in the aftermath of a financially painful strike for your employer. I still wish you well and have always enjoyed my flights with your airline but I would take a long, deep breath before you strike and I would certainly be on to my union leader RIGHT NOW! Good luck