PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YOUR INSTRUCTOR--Friend or Foe?
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 08:24
Whirlybird

The Original Whirly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trouble with asking students about their instructor is that they're not in the best position to know!

I was a student once, doing my PPL(A). I thought the school was great, and the instructors were great. That was partly because I learned something every lesson. Well, you would, wouldn't you; it would be hard to learn nothing at all when you're starting out! It was also because everyone else said how good he was. Then later on I realised that his instructing 'technique' - yelling at every mistake and acting like an army sergeant major - may have worked for some people, but was probably part of the reason for my very slow progress, as I could never relax.

Move on a couple of years, to my PPL(H). A totally different type of instructor - relaxed, friendly, open, took me for lunch, always made sure he had something positive to say. It took me a long time to realise that I wasn't as good as I thought I was, because he was glossing over any mistakes, so that they became habits. And an even longer time to find out the things he hadn't taught me...because you don't know what it is that you don't know. Some things I didn't find out till my FI course, when the instructor sympathetically told me that I was finding things hard because I'd obviously not been very well taught in the beginning.

Now, as an instructor, I know I'm not perfect, and I won't ever be. I hope I've learned from my instructors' mistakes at least. I try to do my best. But on occasions, being human, I'm rushed, explain something badly, or don't teach as well as I know I can. Do my students get upset? On the contrary, most people are past masters at putting their instructors on pedestals and taking everything positively! Which is nice for us...but is it right for them? Perhaps they should be more critical, shop around more, be more prepared to leave a instructor who isn't absolutely right - after all, you're paying a small fortune to learn to fly. I remember one regular poster on this forum who had to be 'yelled' at by quite a few of us, till he left his obviously unsatisfactory instructor - he thanked us in the end. Someone else posted about having tolerated an instructor with an ego the size of a small country (nice turn of phrase; I've never forgotten it).

Sorry to go on at such length, but this is a very important subject, and I wish I'd found it before it had run to four pages! Llanfair, thanks for bringing it up, and please ignore the idiots who question your motives.