PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 06:05
Cap'n Arrr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I see your pont mjbow2, and to be honest every time i ever asked for a coastal clearance from willy I have been given it, although I did have to hold for military training or the odd Jet* once or twice. I have also been often given clearance over the top of williamtown on several occasions and have always found them to be fairly flexible, especially considering I was in a 2 seat fixed pitch single at the time.

I understand what you mean about Buckley AFB, although VFR traffic are allowed to and do transit Willy every day as well. I've been given opposite direction F18 traffic more than once going up coastal, the zone doesn't close down for MIL TFC I guess is what I'm trying to say. If there is minimal traffic willy also allows you in without delay. If you are refused clearance, you can still get through by diverting through the inland lane, which is Class G and so always open. You made many valid points, and I am not trying to act contrary, I just feel that this is a different scenario to Buckley.

I'm not quite sure how this thread got to a debate on whether a coastal lane is possible or not, there already is one, you just need clearance, and occasionally have to hold. Difference between willy and yssy is (IMHO) proximity of the beach to the runway. Extreme example, would you fly 500' coastal past that airport in the carribean? Princess St Julienne I think it is?

I am not for one moment saying that my opinion is better than anyone elses, I accept that other people may see this differently to me, I am simply putting mine out there for you all to read, take from it what you will.

Clear skies and smooth seas

Yarrr