PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Egyptair Joins Star Alliance
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 06:03
kotakota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sadly , it is just an excuse to put fares up . Pity , as MS have been very good for me down this neck of the ( Mediterranean ) woods.
If transitting through Cairo ,and changing airlines , prepare yourself for the experience of a lifetime . Changing terminals at Cairo is one of lifes worst offerings , cannot be done without 'tipping' somebody .No free transport . Even though you do not need a visa for Sinai ( Red Sea / Gulf of Aqaba ) , you do need one to change from International to Domestic terminals at Cairo ( $15US at a 'scrum' ).
On arrival at Sharm you will be amazed to see this wondrous new terminal shaped like a bedouin tent. Sadly , that is the total extent of modernisation . The immigration experience is straight out of 1984 , and even when you have the relevant visa and passport stamped correctly , you still have to offer your passport to yet another individual and waste another 10-20 minutes of your life . Crew do not have any facilities ie immigration lane / security etc and your passport is stamped every arrival and departure. my passport issued in 03 is nearly full thanks to our ops out of Sharm ( that is only occasional trips too ).
The good news ? That will be yesterdays phone call from base to say that I will never be coming here again !!