PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 06:02
divingduck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weelconcerned...welcome back!

I have worked in a few 'not so comfortable' operations there - I have, through the years, worked in Oman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar and Saudi. I have worked for PanAm, Serco, Johnson Control Industries, ICAO [in Saudi] and direct to the Qatar DGCA. I have worked tower, approach and en-route. So I know a 'little' about 'life' in the Muddle East, and how fickle pay and conditions can be - and quickly it can go sour when another company, or another country runs short of controllers and the 'exodus is on'. I also know that as comfortable a lifestyle as it appears, it can go sour VERY quickly - try taking a camera into the ops room, and watch how quickly you get deported.
Nice to hear that you have all that experience, give me a PM and we can chat... I have been here 10 years now in 2 of those places you mentioned, we must have mutual friends.
Regarding the photos in the ops room...I regularly take photos and so do many of my workmates...not just with a mobile phone camera either

Over the past couple of years, the "exodus is on" has spawned fairly impressive pay rises, and will continue to do so as the outrageous growth in traffic continues.

Thanks for the tax advice, I have a very good accountant and I am still undecided whether or not I want to return to Oz to live.
Having another passport is a real bonus.

Watch how veangeful Airservices can be when you come back, cap in hand, looking for a job - better have contingency plans in place.
Have already seen it...but these guys that are currently in positions of power will not be there that long. Not that I ever wish to work back in OZ. I have too many friends being f***ed over by everyone from their line managers to the CEO of the company to even consider it.
I figure, seriously now, that in a year or so, AsA's new management will be contacting just about everyone with ATC/FSO experience wherever they are in the world and offering enormous wads of cash to come and work.
Don't think it will happen? Look at what has happened in Norway. Management took after the AsA model of management, made some serioulsy stupid decisions and pi$$ed off their workforce.
The workforce responded by walking out the door...staffing crisis naturally occurs.
Norwegian government takes an interest in what is occurring and sacks the top end of their management team. New guy put in place to unf**k the system.
He does that by telling the controllers that they are the most valuable commodity that they have and starts giving them payrises.
He personally contacts all the Norwegians overseas, mainly Dubai, Ab Dab and Muscat and asks them to come back, he will pick up all the bills for the move and pay out any bonds that they may incur by leaving a contract early.
Check out how much they get paid now, with another big rise due this March.
That is why there is going to be a shortage in the ME...That is why there will be big rises here to retain and attract staff.

I can put you in touch with several close colleagues who were thoroughly screwed over in their Muddle East contracts.
And I can put you in touch with a lot more...current controllers, that have, and are doing very well, thank you very much.

Anyway - good to see I'm still able to pull your levers from time to time [and yes, the Muddle East experience above IS genuine].
Go for it...I love a good debate, its like fencing (that'll be the sword-fighting stuff, not banging in pickets) with an unarmed man