PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mega Merged: AsA ATC staffing levels
View Single Post
Old 29th Dec 2007, 05:07
WELLCONCERNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, Mr Duck,

Nice to see you're working in a cushy little Muddle East number.

I have worked in a few 'not so comfortable' operations there - I have, through the years, worked in Oman, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Qatar and Saudi. I have worked for PanAm, Serco, Johnson Control Industries, ICAO [in Saudi] and direct to the Qatar DGCA. I have worked tower, approach and en-route. So I know a 'little' about 'life' in the Muddle East, and how fickle pay and conditions can be - and quickly it can go sour when another company, or another country runs short of controllers and the 'exodus is on'. I also know that as comfortable a lifestyle as it appears, it can go sour VERY quickly - try taking a camera into the ops room, and watch how quickly you get deported.

Watch how quickly the tax man springs on you when you return if you have not been REAL careful in how you structure your affairs in Australia. Non-residency for tax purposes can be REAL tricky.

Watch how veangeful Airservices can be when you come back, cap in hand, looking for a job - better have contingency plans in place.

So, anyone thinking of leaving Australia's fair shores should be just a little bit wary of the 'it's a wonderful life' hype. Yes, it can be, but I can put you in touch with several close colleagues who were thoroughly screwed over in their Muddle East contracts.

Regarding ATC staffing here in Australia - you have all seen my previous postings on this subject [not on this thread - you guys are just TOO easy to wind up!!]. I agree that controllers should not have to work the inordinate amount of overtime and EDs you do - and I agree that the training has been left in such an abysmal state that it will be almost impossible to recover.

I'm well aware of [and well concerned about] Kinny's predisposition to changing the work ethos of ATCs - especially the notion of a common 'doggo' rating, so that full endorsements are not required to man parallel sectors when 'the machine does the work for you anyway'.

I'm not saying it's not a valid concept - but it needs to be introduced as part of a complete restructuring of ATC working conditions - and NOT as a means to fill rostering gaps that have been created by complete management incompetence.

Anyway - good to see I'm still able to pull your levers from time to time [and yes, the Muddle East experience above IS genuine].