PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lockhart River - CASA/ATSB Review Announced
Old 29th Dec 2007, 00:37
PLovett

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance companies are all the same.

Their immediate response to any claim is to deny liability. When I was working as a solicitor I had a young lady come to see me about a motor vehicle collision. She was stopped at a red light when an ambulance (of all vehicles) failed to stop and hit her car in the rear.

The driver immediately went to my clients aid and while assisting her admitted that he had failed to see the light was still red.

My client had submitted a claim to the government insurance office and had received a response claiming that the collision was her fault and that the company would be pursuing a claim against her.

She was quite distressed about the letter and was on the point of discontinuing the claim for the repair of her car. I was able to assure her that the letter was a bluff and that her claim would succeed. I enjoyed writing the letter to the government insurance office stating very clearly what they could expect unless they paid up and quickly. They did.

The reaction from my client is why all insurance companies will initially reject any claim. The small percentage of people who feel threatened makes it worthwhile. Insurance companies are surely the offspring of unmarried parents.

Now, to get the thread back on track, the review. Does anyone seriously consider that it will achieve anything? The ATSB and CASA hate each others guts with an intensity not often seen in government circles. Given that one them is about as useful as tits on a bull makes it even more absurd. The review can only be seen as a public smokescreen designed to make the public think that someone has their hands on the levers of control. What folly!