PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg FAA IR threat from EASA
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2007, 17:54
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ICAO standards and JAR standards in this respect are the same
That is bull DFC but we have done this one before. I am responding to you only because it may mislead others.

JAA have taken an ICAO recommendation and gold plated it into a mandatory multi-frequency audiogram, which must be passed by each ear separately, mandatory for any IR holder even a private pilot.

The USA did the smart thing and filed a difference on this crap. Even an ATP doesn't need it, and I hold a Class 1 medical BTW, good enough to fly a 747 into Heathrow.

The problem with Europe is that European IFR pilots never had nobody looking after their interest (there is no "Euro AOPA") and regs didn't get noticed until it was too late. I dare say PPL/IR Europe would draw attention to this kind of thing if somebody tried to pull the fast one again. Also the CAA IR was much easier to do in years gone by, with various grandfather routes enabling entry into the renewal stream (see below). This is how most old codgers like you got into the system.

To compound the irony, on a JAA renewal you get a demonstrated ability route which is what keeps large numbers of partly deaf airline pilots from losing their jobs.

You can that "flag of convenience" Shame on you.