PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg FAA IR threat from EASA
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2007, 13:29
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate your comments about the 1000nm leg in Europe, but really if you counted the amount of PPL/IR flown legs of that length regardless of nationality inbetween fl100 and fl200, I doubt you would count 10 sectors per day.
A lot more than that, but not say 1000/day.

Invariably the aircraft that will make such altitudes and then subject themselves to winds equal to their cruising speeds
Where do you get this from? The jet stream doesn't go anywhere near that low. I have seen perhaps 70kt max, FL150. And any half decent IFR tourer will make FL180. The turbo ones tend to have a FL250 ceiling (e.g. TB21). Pressurised ones, almost universally FL250.

are that expensive then perhaps the cost admittedly in terms of Time/Avgas/Jet A1 is only a tiny part of the aquisition costs
Again, I do not believe you own a plane or fly IFR for real. The "tiny part" gives this away.

and the owners should be considering getting national licenses instead of doing it on the cheap.
Can you provide supporting data for your "on the cheap" assertion? Again, I don't believe you are an owner/pilot of anything we are discussing here, otherwise you would know about aircraft operating costs, relative costs of G-reg private CofA v. FAA Part 91, etc. N-reg is not "on the cheap" at all. If anything, it costs slightly more, at the piston GA level, but most pilots use this route for the IFR privileges.

I once experienced a N reg malibu owner seriously overload his aircraft with people, fuel, bags and dogs and caused absolute chaos when he was asked to climb to FL170
Do you have more details or is this hearsay? I have never been asked by ATC to CLIMB anywhere above my filed level, or sometimes to a higher than filed level if changing a route and the MEA is higher there. If he filed for FL170 and could not make it, he was an idiot, but I don't see the relevance of this to N-reg because a Malibu can be G-reg or N-reg. Only the Jetprop conversion of the Malibu has to be N-reg.

, he couldnt make the level due weight but tried, caused imeasurable problems for ATC. Now one bad apple does not ruin the crop but this is what you are up against in convincing ATC/EASA/ICAO that Part time PPL/IR's who lets face it probably aren't as current as they could be, should be mixing it with Airbuses and Boeings.
OK, here we have the "only professional full time pilots should go into the IFR system" argument. Thankfully the chance of this getting anywhere is awfully slim, so long as ICAO exists.

And, of course, commercial flights are never overloaded. ATPs never do crazy things. What about that transport jet (727?) which gained only about 1000ft after 20nm out of Gatwick? That one didn't make the papers, but there are many cases like this.

Can you give precise details of the "imeasurable problems for ATC" assertion?

There is a serious consideration right now by EASA to forbid single crew IFR above FL290 (ie RVSM), this has just in one swoop effectively reduced by 40% the range of all the capable bizjets that would normally be cruising out of the way in the upper thirties and early forties.
This "proposal" has been doing the rounds for years. Germany threatened ATPL-only for all jets. NATS claimed (2006, I was present) no single crew jets in UK airspace. Etc.

This will have a dramatic effect on corporate/private operators by shutting out professionally simulator trained and qualified pilots of the upper levels.
Which is why it is unlikely to happen. Anyway, the workload up there is minimal. Just pressing buttons on the autopilot - just like I do when flying IFR...

What WILL happen is that a slow jet trying to get upper airway routings is not going to get the good ones in the denser parts of Europe, and they won't like it very much.

If EASA are capable of this much chaos, how much chance do you think the UK based FAA operators have of keeping their privileges
None of this has happened. Proposals are cheap. They get floated up the flagpole to see if anybody claps. If they actually tried any of this high level stuff, there would be hell to pay on reciprocal rights outside Europe. Europe is a very small place - look on a globe. "We" think we are big and important but the reality is that Europe counts for very little in international aviation.