PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - N Reg FAA IR threat from EASA
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2007, 12:48
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IO540

I appreciate your comments about the 1000nm leg in Europe, but really if you counted the amount of PPL/IR flown legs of that length regardless of nationality inbetween fl100 and fl200, I doubt you would count 10 sectors per day. Invariably the aircraft that will make such altitudes and then subject themselves to winds equal to their cruising speeds are that expensive then perhaps the cost admittedly in terms of Time/Avgas/Jet A1 is only a tiny part of the aquisition costs and the owners should be considering getting national licenses instead of doing it on the cheap.

I once experienced a N reg malibu owner seriously overload his aircraft with people, fuel, bags and dogs and caused absolute chaos when he was asked to climb to FL170, he couldnt make the level due weight but tried, caused imeasurable problems for ATC. Now one bad apple does not ruin the crop but this is what you are up against in convincing ATC/EASA/ICAO that Part time PPL/IR's who lets face it probably aren't as current as they could be, should be mixing it with Airbuses and Boeings.

There is a serious consideration right now by EASA to forbid single crew IFR above FL290 (ie RVSM), this has just in one swoop effectively reduced by 40% the range of all the capable bizjets that would normally be cruising out of the way in the upper thirties and early forties.

This will have a dramatic effect on corporate/private operators by shutting out professionally simulator trained and qualified pilots of the upper levels.

If EASA are capable of this much chaos, how much chance do you think the UK based FAA operators have of keeping their privileges.