PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 25 years of holding at Williamtown
View Single Post
Old 28th Dec 2007, 12:34
ftrplt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The US has a great system but folks here are so resistant to changing anything.
No, it is not resistance to change. If the change has significant benefits, and there is an identifiable need, and the benefit and need outweighs any increase in possible risk; then go for it.

The US often has no choice with it's density of airports and traffic; we dont have either so the need for this flexibility may be less essential if such flexibility increases risk.

Its classic Risk / Reward stuff.

There is basically no choice in many areas of the US when it comes to sharing airspace - I can assure you it is riskier however than an entirely segregated system; and yes I do acknowledge the decreased flexibility that such a system may also entail.

I say again, the US system that has been mentioned here a few times does have higher risks from time to time depending on traffic, weather etc etc; also from the military point of view it can be a hassle to varying degrees and often degrades training (I have flown in US east coast airspace extensively with the USAF).

Not all of us having a go at Dick are saying a coastal lane is impossible or even uneccessary to some degree (I can see the desire from a GA POV); what we are saying is that a lane does not come without a change to risk and with possible degradation to military flexibility; and there should be a balance of risk / reward / operational impact. I am quite sure there are many factors that are worthy of consideration when it comes to an introduction of such a lane, and some may well be significant enough to outweigh the benefit.

The issue that we are having a go at him about is his stupid linking of a lack of a decision in his favour WRT a coastal lane, therefore implying a lack of professional ability amongst senior RAAF officers for the duties that they are trained for and have often carried out in real time combat operations.

For this reason he has no respect from me, and I know he has little respect amongst some of the senior military officers he so readily demeans.

Without respect, ones influence and effectiveness is usually seriously degraded; unless you happen to be the boss!