PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread II
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2007, 13:12
interpreter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do not like the terms offered....

I am afraid that it is exactly as stated by others. If you do not like the terms offered by Virgin then seek employment elsewhere. Only if enough decide to leave will the message get through but then for those of you who have left it is too late. You can never go back in life. As long as there are sufficient others coming along who wish to work for Virgin the terms and conditions within reason will not change.
I would turn to the Union and ask them what in their view they can do for you. You pay them enough and their pay is unaffected. It seems at the moment that all they can suggest is a strike - well, they would wouldn't they?
Only when there is a clear shortage of cc will the airline change its terms and conditions significantly. Certainly a strike will do the company damage but you have to ask yourselves how do they recover from that? Lay off staff? Reduce routes? Reduce frequencies? Perhaps they want staff to leave voluntarily at the higher rates of pay to permit them to take on more younger, enthusiastic and CHEAPER cc.
At the moment it looks like a lose/lose situation. Sorry to be so negative but if you look at it practically you will see that strike action is just not worth the cost to any cc member. Also remember that the whole industry is facing enormous challenges over the ridiculous "carbon footprint " fiasco and there is certain to be some thinning down of operators. My final advice. Stay where you are and bite the bullet. If you have a job you enjoy then get on with it, enjoy it and see what happens in this coming year that is, in my view, going to be very turbulent for the industry.