PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFR night current....
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2007, 13:06
Peter Fanelli

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
CAO 40.2.1
8.3(e) states

The aeronautical experience of an applicant for the issue of a command instrument rating shall include
e: except for those persons whose licence is restricted to day only operations, 10 hours night flight of which not less than 5 hours shall be as pilot in command on the category of aircraft for which the rating is sought.

Since henli states that he got his MECIR without having a NVFR rating that implies that at the time of gaining his instrument rating his license was "restricted to day only operations".

If the issue of a CIR gives one the right to blast off into the night without any night training, why the distinction here.

This sub paragraph says to me that since you will not be flying at night with your command instrument rating, because you are restricted to day only operations, there is no need to have the night aeronautical experience.

Can anyone really believe that a person WITH a NVFR rating has to meet night flight requirements for the issue of a CIR yet a pilot without a NVFR rating does not, and both are permitted to fly IFR at night?

Section 14 in my opinion is simply setting out the terms under which a pilot qualified to fly at night may choose to operate IFR or under slightly less restrictive NVFR rules.

I don't see section 14 as giving approval for a pilot restricted to daytime flying only, approval to fly at night.

I may be wrong of course but I'd love to hear some more opinions from well qualified individuals.

Maybe this sort of thing wasn't an issue back when a lot more experience was required to gain employment. Pilots tended to have time to pick up things like Class 4 ratings well before they were deemed employable and needed a Class 1.

Last edited by Peter Fanelli; 27th Dec 2007 at 14:45.