PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - YOUR INSTRUCTOR--Friend or Foe?
View Single Post
Old 27th Dec 2007, 10:28
machel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
llanfairpg, my RAF experience was actually at Kinloss - north-east Scotland. They have a set syllabus, and set ways of teaching and all of the instructors have to use the same methods. There's always a briefing before the flight, and always a de-brief.

In Florida, 90% of the time the briefing and de-brief happened in the aircraft while taxiing, if they happened at all. I would be sent out to pre-flight the aircraft while the Instructor wrote up the paperwork for the previous flight with the previous student, and then he would come out and join me when I'd started the aircraft up.

In fact, my first Instructor in Florida hadn't even heard of HASELL or HELL checks! It was news to him when I mentioned them.

I had total confidence in my Instructor at Kinloss - but very little in the first one out in Florida.

I would say, though, if you don't like your Instructor, it can make for an interesting flight. Speaking from experience, if there's mutual dislike, it doesn't bring out the best in the student.