PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantaslink & Rex how long have they got left?
Old 27th Dec 2007, 06:47
KRUSTY 34

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Gidday Howard.

Would've responded earlier but I have been away and working like a dog. Lot of that going on lately.

Sorry that you didn't get through. anyone can have a bad day in the Sim, and I do mean anyone! Hopefully you have gone on to better things. But I think you are right, the standard, although fairly strictly applied is probably no tougher than elsewhere. Problem is we are now seeing people fail not only their Check to Line in a much greater ratio than previously, but more are not coming up to standard in the initial endorsement. This is a huge problem for REX, and highlights the decimation of Australian General Aviation. Driven in part by years of substandard Wages and Conditions. During this period most operators (Including the Regionals and Majors) have embraced the "keep Wages and Conitions Low" philosophy, and we are now seeing the fruits of their labour!

Metro Man,

Just lowering the standards to fit in with the supply problem is not a solution either. I think you'll find that CASA have to approve such changes, and they are unlikely to stick their necks out on that one (and who can blame them).

So will REX survive?

Possibly, but it will be a much smaller operation than it is today.

My prediction:

Best case: In 12 months, approximately half the size it is today! The economies of scale that the business has enjoyed will disappear, and the price of the average regional ticket will be closer to what it was 10 years ago (basically double to what it is today). A reduction of at least 50% in regional frequency with some routes, although profitable, disappearing altogether so that the prime ones may survive.

Worst case: REX will fold because of a chronic lack of skilled flight crew.

In either case, it will be the travelling public that will ultimately pay the price.