PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sea Vixen parts found buried
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2007, 20:59
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sea Vixen parts found buried

Front page of the 'West Sussex County Times ', 21st Dec' 07.

The tail section of a Sea Vixen, XJ607, has been discovered apparently deliberately buried on a farm near Billingshurst, West Sussex.

Apparently it was common knowledge that the nose section of this aircraft is in Australia - whether on display or whatever isn't stated.

The wierd thing is, this aircraft was restored at Dunsfold around 1990 NOT by BAe, but by a small outfit operating on the East side of the airfield.

I saw it, and from a few hundred yards it looked ' as new ' - though I have no idea as to how deep a level beyond paint the 'restoration' went.

One would have thought museums would have wanted a gleaming Sea Vixen ( I'm presuming it was only good for static use ) - so dismantling such an apparently good example and burying parts in a farm - Billingshurst is around seven miles from Dunsfold - seems a bizarre end.

The farmer professes to have no knowledge about it, and ironically is getting interest from museums. It's thought there are more buried parts being discovered, or is that conjectured about...

I'll post the newspaper photo' if anyone's interested ( and I remember how! ).
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...aVixentail.jpg

Last edited by Double Zero; 26th Dec 2007 at 21:48.