PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's really going on here?
View Single Post
Old 26th Dec 2007, 19:31
L337

the lunatic fringe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did our highly-paid specialized skills go when airbus introduced envelope protection?
I have landed an A319 at the max crosswind limit in severe turbulance, and it was far more of a handfull than the 737 in the same conditions. It was much more demanding of my flying skills than any conventional aeroplane I have ever flown.

Is there exceptional decision-making or judgement beyond the SOP's? Is there any (expect in a negative sense) relying on the days of old? What seperates the few bastions of professionalism from those faking it?
Well yes there is. Outside of the simulator emergencys rarely happen by the book. Multiple failures, contradictory symptoms, and a QRH/ Eicas that fails to cover what you have. You have to Diagnose correctly,and manage the situation effectively. and that can get very difficult at times. Especially in "new" aeroplanes.

Does it really take more than carefull (using your finger) reading the checklist, qualifying your radiocalls, using eyecontact when briefing and memorizing your flows and qrh itmes? Perhaps spend a night reviewing your type CBT? Or if you're really keen, spend a night or two ploughing through the FCOM.
Yes. Flying is mostly easy to do. Easy to do to a sorta average standard. If you want to be good than it requires real work and dedication. To be the best requires more than a bit of eyecontact. One thing being a trainer taught me was the guys who really shone in the simulator, really worked at it. Thought about it, listened, learned, practised, and then executed it. They taught me, I taught them very little.

It's a lazy job,
See above.

You can't pull a guy off the street to do this?
You cannot. Some people just cannot fly. And some that can fly cannot think and fly. To be a good pilot you need "capacity". And any guy off the street probably does not have that. A few will, but to be good, professional, and safe. You need aptitude, brains, and above all plenty of capacity.

Finally.. I fly because I love it.

Yes you are working when everyone doesn't (including your wife and kids). I have had the divorce. The crappy hotels, the the cosmic radiation etc etc. But just look out the window, smell the roses. It is still a wonderful job.

To quote Richard Bach:

"For pilots sometimes see behind the curtain, behind the veil of gossamer velvet, and find the truth behind man, the force behind a universe".

My view

l337